History

In 1927, a group of officers who had contributed to the great success of the Artillery in 1917-1918 by the provision of counter-bombardment data from Sound Ranging & Flash Spotting and led by the Nobel Prize-winners Sir Lawrence Bragg and Harold Hemming formed the Field Survey Association as an old comrades association and a known pool of expertise if called upon for another war. The association was in abeyance during the Second World War but many members again saw active service.  The Association resumed activities in 1945 and, in 1997, was renamed the Defence Surveyors' Association more properly to reflect the multi-disciplined changing nature of Geographic Intelligence support to the three Services